Adults: New Neighbors
New Neighbors will be offering English classes either virtually or in person for the Fall 2022 semester. Please see below for more information.
The New Neighbors English Language Learner (ELL) program offers English classes and services to immigrants and refugees from around the world who have settled in Alexandria and the Northern Virginia area. With a mission of helping families become self-sufficient, the program provides a safe place where people from many cultures can build friendships and become participating members of our community while learning English.
New Neighbors is a two semester, academic year program that includes:
- Ten levels of adult English classes taught with a structured curriculum utilizing a rich selection of teaching materials
- Family literacy projects for parents and children to encourage speaking and reading in English at home
- Guest speakers who provide information on jobs, housing, computer courses, and legal services
- Field trips and referrals to important community resources
On average, 75-80 percent of students demonstrate enough progress to advance to the next level of instruction at the end of each academic year. Students report high satisfaction with the classes and enjoy being part of a caring, multicultural community.
In addition to our regular English language classes, New Neighbors will offer Citizenship Classes this fall! Click here to learn more.
Hours & Location
The New Neighbors Spring 2023 schedule is outlined below.
- Childcare service will be back!
- Class schedules are subject to change according to student registration status.
- If you are a new student you will be given a placement test to determine which level you will take for the semester.
- In person classes will be held at Christ Church’s Fowler House, located on 111 N. Columbus St., Alexandria VA, 22314.
- Level 3 students should choose between online and in-person and must commit to that option for the semester.
- In case of bad weather, New Neighbors in-person classes will be closed if Alexandria City Public Schools are closed. If Alexandria City Public Schools are on delayed opening, New Neighbors in-person classes will start at 10:30AM.
Spring 2023 Semester Registration will be open on December 14th.
New Neighbors Spring 2022 Newsletter
New Neighbors Spring 2021 Newsletter
New Neighbors Spring 2020 Newsletter
New Neighbors Spring 2019 Newsletter
New Neighbors Spring 2018 Newsletter
New Neighbors Spring 2017 Newsletter
New Neighbors Spring 2016 Newsletter
New Neighbors Fall 2015 Newsletter
New Neighbors Spring 2015 Newsletter
New Neighbors Fall 2014 Newsletter
New Neighbors Spring 2014 Newsletter
Featured in the Alexandria Gazette: “Working Toward English Literacy in Alexandria,” December 5, 2014. View the article here.
For more information, please contact:
Jin Chong, Program Director
Lilly Najafzadeh, Program Assistant