The New Neighbors English Language Learner (ELL) program offers English classes and services to immigrants and refugees from around the world who have settled in Alexandria and the Northern Virginia area. With a mission of helping families become self-sufficient, the program provides a safe place where people from many cultures can build friendships and become participating members of our community while learning English.
New Neighbors is a two semester, academic year program that includes:
- Nine levels of adult English classes taught with a structured curriculum utilizing a rich selection of teaching materials
- Child care during classes for infants through four-year-olds that stresses early literacy and developmentally-appropriate activities
- Family literacy projects for parents and children to encourage speaking and reading in English at home
- Guest speakers who provide information on jobs, housing, computer courses, and legal services
- Field trips and referrals to important community resources
On average, 75-80 percent of students demonstrate enough progress to advance to the next level of instruction at the end of each academic year. Students report high satisfaction with the classes and enjoy being part of a caring, multicultural community.
Hours & Location
Classes are held Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays from 9:30 a.m. to noon, from September to December (fall semester), and January to May (spring semester). Classes are held at Historic Christ Church, Fowler House, 118 North Washington Street, Alexandria 22314.
Fall 2016 classes are scheduled to begin on September 12. See "In case of bad weather" paragraph below.
In case of bad weather, New Neighbors will be closed if Alexandria City Public Schools are closed. If Alexandria City Public Schools are on a delayed opening, New Neighbors classes will start at 10:30 a.m. Please call Alexandria City Public Schools Hotline at 703-866-5300 to see if schools are closed.
Registration - Fall 2016
New Neighbors Spring 2016 Newsletter
New Neighbors Fall 2015 Newsletter
New Neighbors Spring 2015 Newsletter
New Neighbors Fall 2014 Newsletter
New Neighbors Spring 2014 Newsletter
Featured in the Alexandria Gazette: "Working Toward English Literacy in Alexandria," December 5, 2014. View the article here.
For more information, contact Marcia D'Arcangelo, Director of New Neighbors ELL and Family Literacy Program, at (703) 224-2361, or email@example.com.