The Building Better Futures (BBF) program is a partnership of The Campagna Center, Alexandria City Public Schools, and local businesses. We aim to establish a pro-learning environment, cultivate leadership qualities, strengthen academic skills, and remove obstacles students face during their high school journey and to guide them on a path to post-secondary opportunities.
BBF will offer the following program activities for the 2016-2017 school year:
Occurring outside of school hours, the program includes:
- Tutoring: group and one-on-one - at T.C. Williams King Street and the Minnie Howard campuses.
- Enrichment seminars - these are focused on college and career readiness.
- Externship opportunities - an externship is a temporary shadowing program in a workplace for one week during spring and summer breaks.
- Educational enhancement - college visits, field trips, team building, and community service activities.
- Parent workshops - these educational workshops are intended to equip parents with beneficial information to support their students throughout their academic journey.
It works: participants regularly achieve marked improvements in behavior, attitude, and academic performance. Last year, 95 percent of Building Better Futures seniors graduated from high school and were accepted to colleges.
Hours & Location
Building Better Futures takes place at T.C. Williams High School, at 3330 King Street in Alexandria and the Minnie Howard campus, 3801 West Braddock Road. It occurs after school on Tuesdays through Thursdays, throughout the school year.
Eligibility and Registration
The program serves students experiencing difficulty in school. Each year, participants from the prior year are given priority consideration before spaces are open to new students. A modest participation fee of $20 is requested for the year.
For more information, contact Dana Taylor, Building Better Futures Program Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org.