The New Neighbors English Language Learner (ELL) program offers English classes and services to immigrants and refugees from around the world who have settled in Alexandria and the Northern Virginia area. With a mission of helping families become self-sufficient, the program provides a safe place where people from many cultures can build friendships and become participating members of our community while learning English.
New Neighbors is a two semester, academic year program that includes:
- Ten levels of adult English classes taught with a structured curriculum utilizing a rich selection of teaching materials
- Child care during classes for infants through four-year-olds that stresses early literacy and developmentally-appropriate activities
- Family literacy projects for parents and children to encourage speaking and reading in English at home
- Guest speakers who provide information on jobs, housing, computer courses, and legal services
- Field trips and referrals to important community resources
On average, 75-80 percent of students demonstrate enough progress to advance to the next level of instruction at the end of each academic year. Students report high satisfaction with the classes and enjoy being part of a caring, multicultural community.
Hours & Location
Classes are held on Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 9:30 a.m. to noon, from September to December (fall semester), and January to May (spring semester). Classes are held at Historic Christ Church, Fowler House, 118 North Washington Street, Alexandria 22314.
In case of bad weather, New Neighbors will be closed if Alexandria City Public Schools are closed. If Alexandria City Public Schools are on a delayed opening, New Neighbors classes will start at 10:30 a.m. Please call Alexandria City Public Schools Hotline at 703-866-5300 to see if schools are closed.
Registration - Spring 2020
- Open online registration is from Dec 14th to Jan 10th
- New students In-person registration help will be on January 10, 2020 from 11 a.m- 1 p.m. at 418 S. Washington St. Alexandria, VA, 22314. New students must take a placement test on January 15 or16 at Christ Church.
- Space is limited. Childcare will be provided
- Please click here to view the academic calendar.
Register online here.
Location: Historic Christ Church- Fowler House. 118 N. Washington St., Alexandria, VA 22314
- Start: January 27, 2020
- End: May 1, 2020
- Classes are held on Monday, Wednesday, Friday, 9:30 a.m.-12:00 noon
Please click here for cost and other information.
New Neighbors Spring 2020 Newsletter
New Neighbors Spring 2019 Newsletter
New Neighbors Spring 2018 Newsletter
New Neighbors Spring 2017 Newsletter
New Neighbors Spring 2016 Newsletter
New Neighbors Fall 2015 Newsletter
New Neighbors Spring 2015 Newsletter
New Neighbors Fall 2014 Newsletter
New Neighbors Spring 2014 Newsletter
Featured in the Alexandria Gazette: "Working Toward English Literacy in Alexandria," December 5, 2014. View the article here.
For more information, please contact:
Ashley Garcia, Program Coordinator
703-549-0111 ext. 139